- Orion: Nasa’s Moon-ship is attached to SLS megarocketon October 21, 2021 at 12:19 pm
Nasa’s next-generation spaceship is attached to the rocket that will return people to the Moon.
- Environment Bill: MPs reject tougher air quality targeton October 21, 2021 at 10:47 am
Ministers say the Environment Bill shows global leadership, but critics accuse them of “inaction”.
- COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate reporton October 21, 2021 at 6:31 am
Countries are asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.
- Climate plan urging plant-based diet shift deletedon October 20, 2021 at 3:39 pm
A research paper recommending people shift towards plant-based foods is not policy, the government says.
- Covid vaccine pioneer: Lives depend on science fundingon October 20, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Sir Andrew Pollard warns against possible moves to reverse planned investment in science.
- COP26: Russia’s Vladimir Putin will not attend climate summiton October 20, 2021 at 12:59 pm
No reason was given for the Russian leader’s decision not to attend the conference in Glasgow.
- Tips on how to save energy at home and help the planeton October 20, 2021 at 10:58 am
What can homeowners do to reduce their energy consumption?
- Is the UK’s green plan enough to halt climate change?on October 20, 2021 at 9:10 am
Support for roads, aviation and fossil fuel drilling could undermine UK’s green credentials at COP26.
- Climate change: Fossil fuel production set to soar over next decadeon October 20, 2021 at 4:08 am
Government plans to extract coal, oil and gas are incompatible with safe temperatures, says the UN.
- Ros Atkins on… Europe’s climate challengeon October 19, 2021 at 11:23 pm
Ros Atkins looks at how Europe is getting to grips with its emissions problem.
- Climate change: Is the UK on track to meet its targets?on October 19, 2021 at 3:59 pm
As the UK prepares to host a global climate summit, is the government on track to meet its own commitments?
- Net zero announcement: UK sets out plans to cut greenhouse gas emissionson October 19, 2021 at 3:58 pm
The government reveals its long-awaited strategy days before global leaders meet for COP26 in Glasgow.
- What is net zero and how are the UK and other countries doing?on October 19, 2021 at 3:31 pm
Experts have recommended developed countries adopt targets to reduce emissions to net zero by 2050.
- Heat pump grants worth £5,000 to replace gas boilers not enough, say criticson October 19, 2021 at 12:40 pm
The England and Wales subsidies cover just 90,000 gas boilers out of more than 20 million households.
- Heat pumps: How much do they cost and how do they work?on October 19, 2021 at 11:54 am
The government wants people to replace gas boilers with heat pumps.
- Diver finds 900-year-old crusader sword off Israel’s coaston October 19, 2021 at 9:16 am
The blade, which is encrusted with marine organisms, is believed to be about 900 years old.
- The battle to make lighter life-saving body armouron October 18, 2021 at 11:12 pm
New materials are making body armour lighter but nanotechnology could provide a breakthrough.
- COP26: ‘Hate tells scientists their work is important’on October 18, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Prof Phil Jones, portrayed in BBC drama The Trick, says climate scientists must be protected.
- COP26: Does a climate summit need 25,000 people? And more questionson October 18, 2021 at 12:30 pm
BBC science correspondent Matt McGrath answers your questions about Glasgow’s COP26 climate summit.
- Earthshot Prize: Costa Rica wins £1m from William’s Earthshot prizeon October 18, 2021 at 5:42 am
Two friends growing coral and the country of Costa Rica are among five winners receiving £1m each.
- How energy flexibility can save us money and cut carbonon October 18, 2021 at 12:10 am
Making energy supply to homes and businesses more flexible could help the UK meet its climate goals.
- Nebra Sky Disc: British Museum to display world’s ‘oldest map of stars’on October 17, 2021 at 11:10 pm
The Nebra Sky Disc is dated 3,600-years-old and considered one of the most important archaeological finds.
- Russian team back on Earth after filming first movie in spaceon October 17, 2021 at 8:24 am
The Russian film crew return after an ISS shoot that had its own moments of drama.
- Prof Sarah Gilbert, Covid vaccine creator: Now let’s take on 12 more diseaseson October 16, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert says medical science has transformed ambitions for new vaccines.
- Prince William: Saving Earth should come before space tourismon October 14, 2021 at 4:05 am
The prince says great minds should focus “on trying to repair this planet” not exploring space.
- Lords return Environment Bill to the Commons with big changeson October 13, 2021 at 4:47 pm
The government faces pressure to get the bill passed ahead of the COP 26 climate conference.
- Star Trek’s William Shatner blasts into space on Blue Origin rocketon October 13, 2021 at 3:22 pm
The actor who played Captain Kirk in the classic TV show is the oldest person ever to go to space.
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year: ‘Explosive sex’ wins top prizeon October 12, 2021 at 9:16 pm
An image of a bursting cloud of eggs and sperm as groupers mate in the Pacific is the judges’ pick.
- Black scientists say UK research is institutionally raciston October 11, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Senior black scientists tell the BBC they believe UK science to be “institutionally racist”.
- Russian film team boldly shoot towards space stationon October 5, 2021 at 4:13 pm
An actress and film director dock with the International Space Station in a first for Russia.