- UK military opens first space command centreon July 30, 2021 at 3:06 pm
The new operations centre will help the UK maintain a “battle-winning advantage”, ministers say.
- Russian module mishap destabilises International Space Stationon July 30, 2021 at 4:06 am
The ISS was pushed out of position after engines on a new Russian module unexpectedly fired up.
- The fungus and bacteria tackling plastic wasteon July 29, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Bacteria, fungus and enzymes can all digest plastic, but can they work at a useful commercial scale?
- UK already undergoing disruptive climate changeon July 29, 2021 at 7:13 am
Last year was the third warmest, fifth wettest and eighth sunniest on record in the UK, scientists warn.
- ‘Most powerful’ tidal turbine starts generating electricity off Orkneyon July 28, 2021 at 6:44 am
The Orbital O2, which is anchored off Orkney, has the capacity to meet the annual power demand of 2,000 homes.
- Electric car charging prices ‘must be fair’ say MPson July 28, 2021 at 12:23 am
Consumers should not have to pay excessive prices to use public car charging, MPs say.
- Is there a future for Africa’s lions?on July 26, 2021 at 11:00 pm
As lion populations decline across much of Africa, could community-led conservation help reverse this trend?
- Bezos’ $2bn offer to get back in race to the Moonon July 26, 2021 at 8:31 pm
The billionaire offers to cover $2bn in Nasa costs to be reconsidered for a Moon lander contract.
- COP26 climate summit president says progress made, but not enoughon July 26, 2021 at 6:29 pm
The first in-person climate meeting in 18 months sees some tentative progress, but no breakthroughs.
- Extreme weather: What causes flash flooding?on July 26, 2021 at 4:24 pm
Cities across the world are at risk of extreme rainfall overwhelming their streets
- Climate change: Researchers begin discussions on vital reporton July 25, 2021 at 11:31 pm
A two-week virtual negotiation begins on the most critical climate change report since 2013.
- The new surgical tool inspired by a waspon July 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm
The device avoids clogging by using friction instead of suction, similar to the way a parasitoid wasp lays its eggs.
- Climate change: Israel to cut 85% of emissions by mid-centuryon July 25, 2021 at 7:17 pm
PM Naftali Bennett says the decision will help the country gradually shift to a low-carbon economy.
- Jeff Bezos and Sir Richard Branson may not be astronauts, US sayson July 23, 2021 at 9:04 pm
The US government has tightened rules on which space-goers can claim their astronaut wings.
- Road planners able to ignore climate change, campaigners claimon July 22, 2021 at 11:47 pm
Government guidelines mean road planners can effectively ignore climate change, campaigners say.
- AI breakthrough could spark medical revolutionon July 22, 2021 at 3:24 pm
A program has been used to predict the structures of nearly every protein in the human body.
- Russia sends long-delayed module to space stationon July 21, 2021 at 3:55 pm
The 13m-long, 20-tonne Nauka laboratory is finally going into orbit after a delay of 14 years.
- ‘Jurassic Pompeii’ yields thousands of ‘squiggly wiggly’ fossilson July 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
Scientists are excavating one of the most important Jurassic sites ever discovered in the UK.
- Jeff Bezos launches to space aboard New Shepard rocket shipon July 20, 2021 at 4:11 pm
The world’s richest man and three other passengers return safely just over 10 minutes after launch.
- Climate change: US pushes China to make faster carbon cutson July 20, 2021 at 3:28 pm
US climate envoy John Kerry says help from China is needed to avoid a dangerous rise in heat.
- Met Office issues first UK extreme heat warningon July 19, 2021 at 4:53 pm
It covers south-west England and large parts of Wales as the UK experiences a prolonged hot spell.
- Climate change: Science failed to predict flood and heat intensityon July 16, 2021 at 11:36 am
Scientists want a super-computer powerful enough to accurately project the most damaging extremes.
- National Food Strategy: Tax sugar and salt and prescribe veg, report sayson July 15, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Boris Johnson says he will consider the proposal, but finds the idea of extra taxes on people unattractive.
- Virgin Galactic: Richard Branson’s long, winding path to spaceon July 11, 2021 at 4:47 pm
The BBC tracks the long, winding road to Sir Richard Branson’s flight to the edge of space.